Thursday, March 30, 2017

True Colors


I am always in great awe of botanical friends who only work with a 6 color palette. I love that disciplined old world feeling that gives to work, BUT I just can’t do it. I am a bit of a cheater. I am in love with the kaleidoscopes of color. Give me a new tube of paint or a dot chart and I am off. If it’s already mixed for me I am happy. I once asked Kay Rees-Davies, a wonderful botanical artist and teacher what she thought. I told her I been pulled up by another teacher for not being a purist. Her eyes lit up and she said ‘Deb, if it is out there use it! Don’t worry about mixing it. You know how to and that’s good but enjoy what’s there’. We then happily went on to swop paint info.

For example have you tried The Terry Harrison collection of 3 greens, Midnight Green, Country Olive, & Sunlit Green? I love the Sunlit Green, it has that fresh spring look for new leaves. Daniel Smith’s Moonglow, Shadow Violet, & Lapis Lazuli Gen. can add so much to a painting and you only need a small amount. Just a touch of Moonglow or Shadow Violet are wonderful as under shading. Lapis Lazuli Gen. can be worked into a great range of smoky shadowy blue and I found at its’ palest it is perfect for pussy willow.

New paints are popping up all over the place and that’s so exciting. Young people are setting up independent companies  and they are passionate about producing new color variations.

Two companies have recently caught my eye. Both can be found on Etsy.

Redwood Willow is charming and fun and is created by Josie, a one woman business. Doesn’t the name Popsicle Set make you want to try it! You can send for a dot chart to try colors out as shown below. And the lovely little sketch book is also a Redwood Willow product. However, don't expect these paints to be delivered overnight. Josie has to make each order herself so be patient. And that's also attractive to me. That the paints are not sitting on a shelf but will be made especially for me.
Greenleaf and Blueberry are created by a modern duo, Jess and Matt in Colorado. They create wonderful Artisanal Handmade watercolors, travel palettes, The Adventure Set, The Alpine Set and more. And of course being a romantic who likes to travel just the company name sets my juices flowing.
So if you have a bit of an artists block or just for the hell of it why not order some new paints and experiment. I don't think you will be disappointed.

4 comments:

  1. i love looking at the handmade paints..... i'm considering making my own if i can get the pigments i want..(some aren't carried by kremer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! My motto is: Learn with a few, then the world of paints is my oyster :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo sounds just my thing! I do love colors!!!

    ReplyDelete