Thursday, November 30, 2017

Art Buddies

Yesterday I had over 2 artist friends for lunch. We met at an event a couple of years ago and decided we liked one another and would meet for coffee or lunch from time to time. What ever time we can spare. What is exciting for me is that as well as taking me out of the studio I get to hear 2 different points of view on art. Both of the talented artists are abstract artists. I knew nothing about their world when I first met them and thought it would be good for me to learn. It has been good, learning about shapes and colors. In many ways its a world different to mine, however, we do have much in common. We chat about anything and everything to do with art, new nationwide exhibits, local exhibits, other artists work, paper, paints and so on. They help me to get things into perspective when for example I have not been accepted into a nationwide show and am feeling despondent. One of them has been a jury member so she has an insight into the 'picks'. It's still a bit of a mystery but it helps a little :-) One has made small movies and worked in graphics for along time before making wonderful paintings. It must have been a successful lunch because a couple of hours turned into 4! Oh and ice cream and cookies helped!

I was thinking today how much it would help everyone to find some art buddies and to open up about art. It's hard to always be our own critic and sometimes it just plain helps to hear about someone else's struggles. Many artists by nature tend to be loners. It took me a while to accept that I needed other points of view and that I really needed to get out of my familiar 4 walls and to take some breaks. Connecting on Facebook is fine but unless those folks live in your part of the world they cannot really understand local galleries, shows etc.

So my end of year wish to you all is to chat to other artists face to face, and take those well deserved breaks. Looking forward to creating new work in the New Year. Wishing everyone the best.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post.
    I am in a fairly isolated city a long way from botanical art communities.
    I was accepted into the Watercolour Society and look for other artists from all genres. I find it very refreshing to see variety in both subject matter and medium. It makes me want to create so much more.
    But still difficult to really connect maybe because as you say, many artists are loners moreso than socially active.
    Thank goodness for our online community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty isolated up here in the poconos, and also without transportation... i would love to be able to get to other local artists (and i wish i lived near one of you guys)

    ReplyDelete