Thursday, July 14, 2016

I'm late, I'm late, I'm late...

I don't know where the time has gone to. May and June have flown past and now we are halfway through July!

May was a time of trying new things for me. Karin Bolstead, Headmistress of Blueschool Arts invited me to speak about my sketchbook habits along with 2 other artists, Lauren Atkinson and Susan Zwinger. All very different artists. I had never done anything like that before and so I took along everything but the kitchen sink. I showed finished artwork along with sketchbook work to show the part sketches played in my paintings. There were many laughs and the audience were very kind and we all had a great time. I also learnt masses from the other 2 artists.


Lauren also invited me to visit the Calyx school where she teaches. Calyx is an amazing school on the edge of one of our parks and focuses on nature and art playing a major role in children's education. The kids, ages 6-11 were incredible, they latched on to botanical art and soon were all drawing cut strawberries to show the inside. They were very enthusiastic about eating the subjects after drawing them!

May was also a birthday month for me and I was very honored when dear friend and botanical artist Debbie Crawford sent me an original piece of art. I had long admired her camellias and now they are on my wall in my studio opposite my desk where I get inspired by them every day. Did I mention how generous botanical artists are? I am always getting wonderful gifts of paper etc.

During this time I also got 2 paintings accepted for my first juried exhibit in St Louis, IL., The Beauty of Botanicals. I got to learn how to frame for a juried exhibit and how to pack paintings for travelling.


June also opened with me having a small solo exhibit in the Flower House Café. I used mainly prints all framed the same and a few originals. The outcome was I sold 3 prints and many cards from the gift store in the garden center next to the café. For some reason masses of my business cards were taken, perhaps people were wall papering! And I was invited to hang again in November.



I also realized in my intention to 'get my work out to the public' this year that I have over extended myself a little for the next 4 months. My postcard exchange was falling behind so I have been working on a few of those and its a good practice for me.

I am also working on a tattoo, another first for me. I spent ages trying to work it out and finally I decided just to shut up and paint it, a pink dogwood, and the tattoo artist can workout the details.

And finally for now I am working on an ASBA exhibit in 2017 Out of the Woods: Celebrating Trees in Public Gardens. I have spent some time in Meerkerk Gardens on the island and have picked 3 trees to study, a lot of work! But I need to stretch and challenge myself.

Next time, something completely different, my first time entering the art exhibit at the local fairground in August. Should be fun!





2 comments:

  1. Deb, What a joy to see your beautiful work! How you are extending yourself into so many new areas of endeavor is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete